Zucchini and squash casserole – easy, healthy and vegetarian! This one skillet wonder is a great option for meatless Monday (or any night of the week). Simply sauté diced veggies, add shredded cheddar cheese and seasonings, then bake for ten minutes. It’s that simple!
*Disclaimer: This article may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
INGREDIENTS FOR ZUCCHINI & SQUASH CASSEROLE:
- Extra virgin olive oil: for sautéing diced veggies.
- Zucchini, yellow squash & calabacita squash: if you can’t find calabacita squash at the store, substitute an additional zucchini or yellow squash (or any other variety of summer squash)!
- Shallots: shallots add delicious flavor to this dish! Any variety of onion will also work fine.
- Cauliflower rice: substitute cooked white or brown rice if you prefer.
- Black beans: delicious, velvety black beans add nice texture.
- Sweet corn: for a little crunch.
- Garlic, salt & pepper: some simple spices (feel free to experiment).
- Fresh parsley: adds a bright flavor and visual appeal!
A QUICK OVERVIEW – MAKING ZUCCHINI & SQUASH CASSEROLE:
Keep scrolling for complete recipe and instructions. We’ll start here with a super quick rundown!
- First, preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Measure olive oil into a large, oven safe skillet and place on medium heat.
- Dice zucchini & squash and add to the skillet. Sauté for 8-10 minutes.
- Dice shallots and mix into the skillet. Sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add cauliflower rice, black beans, corn, half of your shredded cheese and spices. Gently mix everything together and then pat evenly into the skillet.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of ingredients and bake for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle fresh parsley on top of your casserole and allow it to cool.
- Plate and enjoy!
- If you don’t have an oven safe skillet, simply cook ingredients in a regular skillet and then transfer them to a casserole dish before baking. Also, consider adding an oven safe skillet to your collection. They’re super convenient and help cut down on dishes!
- For this recipe I use a 2 quart skillet (10 inches in diameter and 2 inches deep). Once all ingredients are added, the skillet is very full. Gently and carefully stir the ingredients together and they’ll begin to cook down a bit, so the skillet won’t be quite as full. You can also add cauliflower rice in shifts to help prevent overflow.
Zucchini & Squash Casserole
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 2 small calabacita squash *or substitute additional zucchini/yellow squash or another variety of summer squash
- 2 shallots
- 4 cups cauliflower rice
- ½ cup black beans
- ½ cup sweet corn
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese *divided in half
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Measure olive oil into a large, oven safe skillet on the stove top and place on medium heat. (*tip: if you don't have an oven safe skillet, use a regular one and then transfer ingredients to a casserole dish before baking).
- Dice zucchini and squash and add to the skillet. Sauté for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Dice shallots and stir them into the zucchini & squash in the skillet. Continue to sauté for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add cauliflower rice, black beans, sweet corn, salt, pepper, garlic powder and half of your shredded cheddar. Gently stir all ingredients together until well combined. (*tip: if necessary, you can add cauliflower rice in shifts to help prevent overflow. As you stir it in, it'll cook down, giving you more space to work with).
- Pat ingredients evenly into the skillet and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- While your casserole bakes, chop up your parsley.
- Remove skillet casserole from the oven and allow it to cool. Sprinkle with fresh, chopped parsley.
- Plate and enjoy!