Sweet and spicy chicken stir fry is one of my favorite, easy weeknight meals. Sautéed chicken and veggies covered in a sweet, honey ginger soy sauce - delicious! Stir fry is one of the easiest meals and an incredibly tasty way to eat a ton of vegetables. This simple recipe is ready in 30 minutes and uses only one pan. Pair your stir fry with cauliflower, brown or white jasmine rice (or mix regular and cauli rice)! Don't forget to pack up your leftovers for a tasty make ahead lunch.
*Disclaimer: This article may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
A quick overview - sweet & spicy chicken stir fry:
Keep scrolling for complete recipe and measurements. We'll start here with a quick rundown!
- Measure olive oil into a large wok or frying pan and set heat on medium.
- While oil heats, cut your chicken breasts into strips and sprinkle with salt/pepper.
- Add chicken strips to oil, one third at a time and sauté for 2-3 minutes, set aside.
- Cut up veggies place them in your wok/frying pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sauté for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While veggies cook, roughly chop cilantro and mix up your stir fry sauce.
- Add cooked chicken, pineapple, chopped cilantro and stir fry sauce to the pan. Mix until well combined and allow everything to simmer together for 5-10 minutes, until sauce begins to thicken.
- Serve over rice or cauliflower rice. Top with chopped peanuts/additional cilantro if desired.
- Reduce your prep time by purchasing fresh, cubed pineapple in your produce section. Can't find fresh? Canned pineapple works great! I also like to buy a bag of broccoli florets that have already been chopped up. These great little shortcuts will save you time in the kitchen!
- Most grocery stores sell chicken breasts that have already been cut into thin slices. Consider purchasing pre-sliced chicken to save yourself even more time and get to relaxing sooner.
Sweet & Spicy Chicken Stir Fry
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil *split
- 2 medium size chicken breasts *cut into strips *around 1 & ½ lbs. chicken
- pinch of salt & pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 2 large jalapenos *see note below
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 1 cup broccoli florets *see note below
- 1 & ½ cups cubed pineapple *see note below
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
Stir Fry Sauce
- ⅓ cup gluten free soy sauce *see note below
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger paste *see note below
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- Additional chopped cilantro
- Chopped peanuts
- Homemade hot honey drizzle
Recipe notes:Jalapenos: if you want to make your stir fry less spicy, remove seeds and veins from your jalapenos (or you can remove them all together)! Broccoli florets: I recommend buying a bag of broccoli florets that have already been chopped up. These are typically available in the fresh produce section. Frozen will also work fine. Cubed pineapple: cutting up a whole pineapple is quite the task! To keep prep time minimal I purchase fresh, cubed pineapple in the produce section. Canned pineapple also works great! Gluten free soy sauce: if you're gluten intolerant, be sure to buy soy sauce that is clearly marked as gluten free (many brands are not)! Chopped ginger paste: ginger paste can usually be found in the produce section of your local grocery store. I normally find it beside the fresh herbs. It’s typically in a small tube or jar.
- Measure 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a large wok or frying pan on the stovetop and turn heat to medium. (*Tip: you'll need a 3-5 quart pan/wok to fit all ingredients).
- While oil heats, cut chicken into thin strips (cut lengthwise, across the grain of the meat). Sprinkle strips with a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté one third at a time for 2-3 minutes, until fully cooked through and slightly browned. Set aside.
- Cut red bell pepper and jalapenos into slices. Measure all veggies into your wok/sauté pan and drizzle with remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Sauté for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While veggies cook, make your stir fry sauce: measure gluten free soy sauce, honey, white wine vinegar, ginger paste, salt, pepper and corn starch into a small mixing bowl. Whisk until ingredients are well combined and set aside.
- Roughly chop cilantro.
- Add cooked chicken, pineapple, chopped cilantro and stir fry sauce to the pan. Increase heat to medium high and mix all ingredients together until well combined. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 5-10 minutes, until sauce begins to thicken.