If you’re craving Mexican food, taco salad bowls are the BEST, healthy dinner or lunch idea. Seasoned shredded chicken mixed with black beans & onions atop a bed of crisp iceberg lettuce, yum! Add your favorite toppings like cheese, sour cream, pico de gallo salsa and avocado slices. This delicious meal is full of flavor, so easy to make and done in less than 30 minutes.
*Disclaimer: This article may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
A QUICK OVERVIEW – MAKING TACO SALAD BOWLS:
Keep scrolling for complete recipe and instructions. We’ll start here with a super quick rundown!
- Measure olive oil into a large skillet on the stovetop and place heat on medium low. Dice onion, add to pan and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken, black beans, taco seasoning and water. Stir until ingredients are well combined and allow to heat through.
- In your serving bowls. lay a bed of shredded lettuce.
- Add shredded chicken mixture, cheese, pico de gallo salsa, avocado slices and sour cream.
- Dressing: You don’t really need dressing for a taco salad bowl! Your pico de gallo salsa and sour cream will add plenty of flavor. If you want to add some sort of dressing, I’d recommend mixing regular red salsa and sour cream together and drizzling it over your bowl.
- Shredded chicken: For this recipe you’ll want to buy pre-shredded chicken at the grocery store (normally found in the frozen food section or fresh/refrigerated portion of the deli) or make your own. I’ve started making shredded chicken in bulk on the weekend and freezing/refrigerating it in 2 cup portions to use in weeknight cooking.
- Taco seasoning: You can buy taco seasoning mix at the store, but if gluten is an issue for you, make sure you find a brand that is specified as gluten-free (many are not). To avoid additives and gluten, you can also make your own taco seasoning at home: it’s super easy!
Taco Salad Bowls With Shredded Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white or yellow onion *diced
- 1 can black beans *drained & rinsed
- 4 cups shredded chicken *about 1 & ½ lbs or 24 ounces *see note below
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ⅔ cup gluten free taco seasoning *see note below
- ⅔ cup water
- 4 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 large avocado *cut into slices
- 1 cup pico de gallo salsa
- ⅔ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
Recipe notes:Shredded chicken: Buy pre-shredded chicken at the grocery store or make your own. I’ve started making shredded chicken in bulk on the weekend and freezing it in 2 cup portions to use in weeknight cooking. Taco seasoning: You can buy taco-seasoning mix at the store, but if gluten is an issue for you, make sure you find a brand that is specified as gluten-free (many are not). To avoid additives & gluten, you can also make your own taco seasoning at home: it’s super easy! I think homemade taco seasoning offers better flavor!
- Measure olive oil into a frying pan on the stove top and place heat on medium low. While oil heats, dice onion & chop cilantro. Set cilantro aside. Add onion to the pan and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse your black beans and add them to the pan. Add shredded chicken, chopped cilantro, taco seasonings and water. Mix until all ingredients are well combined and allow to heat through.
- Lay a bed of lettuce in each serving bowl. Add shredded chicken mixture, avocado slices, pico de gallo salsa, cheese and sour cream.