Layered taco casserole! This healthy, low carb recipe is very keto-friendly with approximately 11 net carbs per serving. Ready in just 30 minutes, it’s the perfect easy meal for a busy weeknight.
Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
INGREDIENTS FOR LOW CARB TACO CASSEROLE:
- Ground beef: I prefer using lean beef and typically purchase 97/3.
- White onion: yellow will work fine, too.
- Gluten free taco seasoning: try making homemade taco seasoning or purchase pre-mixed.
- Water: to help seasonings mix into ground beef.
- Lime juice: fresh is best!
- Black olives & black beans: tasty mix ins. Try different ones if you like.
- Shredded cheddar: mix half into your casserole and sprinkle the rest on top!
- Low-carb taco shells: this is my favorite brand! Get them on Amazon or at most local grocery stores (I normally find them by the regular taco shells).
MAKING TACO CASSEROLE – A QUICK OVERVIEW:
Keep scrolling for complete recipe and instructions. We’ll start here with a quick rundown!
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Dice onion and drain/rinse black beans and olives.
- Brown two pounds of ground hamburger in a large skillet on the stove top.
- Mix in onion and allow it to soften.
- Add taco seasonings, lime juice, water, black beans, olives and half of your shredded cheddar cheese. Mix until well combined.
- Layer tortillas and filling in an 8×8 casserole dish. Top with cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Allow to cool, plate, add desired toppings and enjoy!
Taco Casserole | Low Carb!
- 2 lbs. 97/3 ground beef
- ⅓ small white onion *diced
- ½ cup taco seasoning
- ½ cup water
- juice from one lime
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese *divided
- 1 2.25oz can black olives *drain and rinse
- ½ cup black beans *drain and rinse
- 15 low carb street taco shells
- diced tomato, sour cream, salsa, avocado slices, guacamole, lettuce, red onion
Recipe notes:Low carb taco shells: I like to buy this brand of taco shells. You can get them on Amazon or at the store (I normally find them right beside the regular taco shells)!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Dice onion. Drain and rinse both black beans and olives.
- Place a large skillet on the stovetop on medium heat. Add ground beef and allow it to brown completely.
- Mix onion into the meat and allow it to soften.
- Add taco seasonings, water, lime juice, half of your shredded cheese, black beans and olives to the skillet (reserve a handful of olives to sprinkle on top if desired). Mix everything together.
- Remove skillet from the heat.
- Create three layers of low carb taco shells and ground beef in an 8×8 casserole dish, starting with shells and ending with taco filling. Top with remaining cheese and black olives (if you reserved some from step 5).
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted. Allow to cool!
- Cut into squares and plate. Add desired toppings and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?!
Thank you so much for trying it out! Please be sure to leave a rating! Simply click on the stars in the recipe card above.
More Keto-friendly dinner recipes:
- Chicken Enchiladas With White Sauce
- One Skillet Chicken Thighs With Creamy Spinach Sauce
- Fettuccine Alfredo With Shrimp and Zucchini Noodles
- Spinach & Blue Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts