Low carb taco casserole! Make dinner time easy with this healthy, mouthwatering recipe. It's very keto-friendly with approximately 10.8 net carbs per serving. Plus, you can whip it up in just 30 minutes with nine simple ingredients, the perfect meal for busy weeknights.
Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mix things up next taco Tuesday with this tasty, cheesy dish!
No one will even know they're eating a low carb meal, this casserole is one the whole family can enjoy. And at the same time, it's great when following a keto diet.
Load it up with all of your favorite taco toppings. Sour cream, Homemade Baja Sauce, Creamy Poblano Sauce avocado slices, 4 Ingredient Guacamole, diced tomato, black olives and iceberg lettuce are all great options.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Ground beef: I prefer using lean beef and typically purchase 97/3. Substitute ground turkey if desired!
- White onion: yellow will work fine, too.
- Taco seasoning: try making homemade taco seasoning or purchase your favorite brand at the grocery store.
- Water: helps seasonings mix into ground beef.
- Lime juice: fresh is best!
- Black olives & black soy beans: tasty mix ins, try different ones if you like! Black soy beans are very low carb and taste pretty much identical to regular black beans when mixed into casseroles and soups. You can use regular black beans if preferred, but they contain more carbs.
- Shredded cheddar: mix half into your casserole and sprinkle the rest on top.
- Low-carb taco shells: this is my favorite brand! Get them on Amazon or at most local grocery stores (I normally find them by the regular taco shells).
How To Make Keto Taco Casserole
Keep scrolling for complete recipe card and measurements. We’ll start here with a quick overview!
- Start by preheating your oven to 350°F.
- Next, dice onion into small pieces.
- Drain and rinse both black soy beans and olives.
- Brown hamburger in a large skillet over medium heat. (Tip: if you don't have a large skillet, a big pot will also do the trick)!
- Mix onion into ground beef and cook until soft (5-10 minutes).
- Add taco seasonings, lime juice, water, black soy beans, black olives and half of your shredded cheddar cheese to beef and onion mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Layer tortillas and taco meat filling in an 8x8 baking dish. Top with remaining cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Allow casserole to cool, then cut into pieces and plate.
- Add desired toppings and enjoy!
Pin it for later!
More Keto Recipes
- Chicken Enchiladas With White Sauce
- Creamy Chicken Taco Soup With Rotel
- One Skillet Chicken Thighs With Creamy Spinach Sauce
- Fettuccine Alfredo With Shrimp & Zucchini Noodles
- Spinach & Blue Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Stuffed Peppers With Sausage & Cauliflower Rice
Easy Keto Taco Casserole Recipe
- 8 x 8" baking dish
- Large skillet
- 1 lb. ground beef *93/7
- ⅓ small white onion *diced
- ½ cup taco seasoning *see note below
- ½ cup water
- 1 small lime *juiced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese *divided
- 1 2.25oz can black olives *drain and rinse
- 1 15oz can black soy beans *drain and rinse *see note below
- 15 low carb taco shells *see note below
- diced tomato, pico de gallo salsa, chopped green onions, sliced jalapeno peppers, sour cream, avocado slices, guacamole, lettuce, red onion, baja sauce.
Recipe notes:Taco seasoning: make your own taco seasoning or use your favorite store bought brand! I prefer a mild seasoning mix, but if you like it spicy - go for a hot blend! You can also add red pepper flakes to heat things up. Black soy beans: sub regular black beans if preferred, but keep in mind that they have a higher carb count. Black soy beans taste pretty much identical to regular black beans in soups and casseroles. They are typically easier to find in health foods stores like Natural Grocer or Whole Foods. You can also buy them on Amazon! Low carb taco shells: I like to buy this brand of taco shells. You can get them on Amazon or at the store (I normally find them right beside the regular taco shells)!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Dice onion into small pieces. Drain and rinse both black soy beans and olives. (*Note: canned black soybeans will most likely come in a jelly like substance - this is normal and is the product of soybeans soaking in water).
- Brown ground beef on the stovetop over medium heat. Use a large skillet so you have plenty of room for additional ingredients (a large pot will also work if you don't have a big skillet).
- Mix onion into the meat and cook the two together until onion softens (5-10 minutes).
- Add taco seasonings, water, lime juice, half of your shredded cheese, black soy beans and olives to the skillet (reserve a handful of olives to sprinkle on top if desired). Mix everything together.
- Remove skillet from the heat.
- Create three layers of low carb taco shells and ground beef mixture in an 8 x 8 casserole dish, starting with shells and ending with taco filling. Top with remaining cheese and black olives (if you reserved some from step 5).
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted. Allow to cool!
- Cut into squares and plate. Add desired toppings and enjoy.
- Leftovers are perfect for meal prep and make great, easy lunches! Simply cut cooled taco casserole into pieces and refrigerate in an airtight, food-storage container for up to 3-4 days.
Did you make this recipe?!
Wahoo! Thank you so much for trying it out. Your feedback is important to me, would you leave a rating? Simply click on the stars in the recipe card above.