Low carb chicken enchiladas with white sauce feature shredded chicken mixed with sautéed onion, jalapenos, hatch chilies and cheese. Delicious, creamy and keto friendly (with approximately only 10 net carbs per enchilada). Perfect for an easy weeknight meal!
*Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
My favorite part of this recipe is probably the homemade sauce, it's made with cream cheese which makes it unbelievably tasty.
This Creamy Taco Soup also uses cream cheese. If you love these enchiladas, you should absolutely try this soup next (it's also keto)!
- Extra virgin olive oil: used to sauté peppers and onion.
- Hatch green chilies: if you can't find fresh hatch chilies, Anaheim peppers are a good substitute. You can also use canned green chili peppers.
- Jalapeño peppers: add a little spice!
- White onion: yellow will also do the trick.
- Cream cheese: used to make enchilada sauce nice and creamy. You can also substitute Neufchâtel cheese to cut down on calories if desired.
- Chicken broth: or substitute vegetable broth!
- Spices: pepper and ground cumin.
- Lime juice: adds a little zest and zing to sauce.
- Shredded chicken: Buy pre-shredded chicken at the grocery store or make your own! I've started making shredded chicken in bulk on the weekend and freezing it in 2 to 3 cup portions to use in weeknight cooking. You can also use a rotisserie chicken.
- Shredded cheese: I prefer sharp white cheddar! Regular orange/yellow cheddar can also be used.
- Chopped cilantro & green onion: for some extra fresh flavor and color.
- Low carb tortillas: La Banderita Carb Counter Tortillas are my favorite with just 4 net carbs per 8 inch tortilla.
How To Make Keto White Chicken Enchiladas
Keep scrolling for the full recipe and measurements. We'll start here with a quick overview!
- Measure olive oil into a medium sauce pan on the stove top and turn heat to medium. Dice veggies and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Spoon a quarter of sautéed veggies into a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add cream cheese, broth, spices and lime juice to the sauce pan. Once cream cheese has melted, transfer ingredients to a blender and puree.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place shredded chicken, ½ cup shredded cheese and ½ cup of enchilada sauce in the mixing bowl containing sautéed veggies. Chop cilantro and green onion and add half to the bowl, reserving the rest for garnish. Toss ingredients together.
- Add a thin layer of sauce to the bottom of your baking pan.
- Portion chicken filling into low-carb tortillas, roll and line in your baking pan. Cover with sauce, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool. Garnish with chopped cilantro, green onion or other desired toppings (I highly recommend drizzling some of this homemade Baja sauce on top, it's SO delicious)!
- Plate and enjoy!
- Sauce: Avoid drenching your enchiladas too heavily with sauce before baking to avoid soggy tortillas. If you have a lot of extra sauce, you can reserve it as a topping.
- Shredded chicken: I typically have shredded chicken on hand because I make it in batches and store it in the freezer! You can also buy pre-shredded chicken at the grocery store if you don't have it readily available or you can purchase a rotisserie chicken in the deli section and shred at home.
- Hatch chilies: Can't find fresh hatch green chilies in the produce section? Use canned! Instead of sautéing, simply add half of one small can to your sauce (just before blending) and place the other half in your shredded chicken filling.
- Low-carb tortillas: This is my favorite brand of low carb tortillas! You can buy them on Amazon, but I usually get them at my local Kroger (typically I find them stacked right beside the regular tortillas). They're super tasty and have only 4 net carbs each - perfect for a keto recipe!
Pin it for later!
Keto White Chicken Enchiladas (Low Carb)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large hatch green chilies *see note below
- 2 large jalapeño peppers
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 8 oz. block cream cheese
- 1 14.5 oz. can chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 & ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- Juice from one small lime
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese *divided
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro *divided
- ¼ cup chopped green onion *divided
- 8 low carb tortillas *8 inch *see note below
- Tomato, diced avocado, sour cream, salsa
Recipe Notes:Hatch green chilies: if you can't find fresh chilies in the produce section, use canned! Instead of sautéing, add half of one small can to your sauce (just before blending) and place the other half in your shredded chicken filling. Low carb tortillas: this is my favorite brand of low carb tortillas! You can buy them on Amazon, but I usually get them at my local Kroger (typically I find them stacked right beside the regular tortillas). They're super tasty and have only 4 net carbs each - perfect for a keto recipe!
- Remove veins and seeds from peppers (if you like your food spicy you can leave them in the jalapenos)!
- Measure olive oil into a medium sauce pan and place on stovetop on medium heat.
- Dice chilies, jalapenos and onion. Place them in the sauce pan and sauté for about 10 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Remove a quarter of veggies, place them in a medium size mixing bowl and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Cut cream cheese into cubes and add to the pot along with chicken broth, pepper, cumin and lime juice. Once cream cheese has melted, transfer ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place shredded chicken, ½ cup of shredded cheese and ½ cup of enchilada sauce in the mixing bowl containing sautéed veggies. Chop cilantro and green onion and add half to the bowl, reserving the rest for garnish / topping. Toss ingredients together.
- Cover the bottom of a 9×12″ baking dish with a thin layer of sauce. Portion shredded chicken mixture into tortillas, roll them up and line in baking dish. Pour the rest of your sauce on top of tortillas and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake enchiladas for 20 minutes (until sauce bubbles). Allow them to cool and garnish with remaining chopped cilantro, green onion and any other desired toppings.
- Plate and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?!
Wahoo! Thank you trying it out – would you leave a rating?! Simply click on the stars in the recipe card above.