Microwave mug cake is a quick, easy treat that comes together in 10 minutes or less. Love a good pumpkin flavored breakfast or dessert but want a healthy option? This recipe is perfect for you. It's gluten and dairy free (no milk needed)! To make this recipe keto, substitute maple syrup with your favorite zero calorie/carb sweetener and use sugar free chocolate chips!
Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Pumpkin puree: a tasty fall-time favorite!
- Almond flour: a gluten free, low carb flour with delicious, nutty flavor. Substitute regular all-purpose flour if desired (but use only 3 tablespoons)!
- Maple syrup: honey or agave are also yummy. For keto, substitute your favorite zero calorie/carb sweetener (such as stevia or monk fruit). Keep in mind that these tend to be sweeter so you'll likely need less.
- Egg: make it fluffy!
- Pure vanilla extract: pure is best but imitation works, too.
- Salt: adds complexity and contrast.
- Cinnamon & cloves: spice it up!
- Baking powder: leavening agent to make your cake rise.
- Dairy free chocolate chips: sweet little morsels! Consider sugar free chips if you're making this recipe keto. Some brands of chocolate chips have milk in them so be sure to select a dairy free brand if this is a concern for you.
How do you make a mug cake? A quick overview:
Keep scrolling for complete recipe and instructions. We’ll start here with a quick rundown!
- Pick out a large, microwave safe mug! Find one that holds at least 1 & ½ cups of liquid.
- Blot pumpkin puree with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Measure all ingredients (except chocolate chips) into your mug and whisk.
- Stir in chocolate chips, reserving a few to sprinkle on top if desired.
- Microwave for 1 & ½ - 2 minutes.
- Once the center of the cake no longer looks wet, it is done.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
Cute microwave cake mugs!
Step by step:
Easy Almond Flour Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
- ⅓ cup pumpkin puree *blotted
- ¼ cup almond flour *sub all-purpose flour if desired but use only 3 tablespoons. *see note below
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup *see note below
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon cloves
- 1 large egg
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon dairy free dark chocolate chips *see note below
- Place your pumpkin puree on a paper towel and blot. (*Tip: this simply means to fold the edges of the paper towel in over the puree to soak up excess moisture).
- Measure all ingredients (except for chocolate chips) into your mug and whisk until everything is well combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips, reserving a few to sprinkle on top if desired!
- Microwave for 1&½ to 2 minutes. When the center of the cake is no longer wet, it is done.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?!
Thank you so much for trying it out – please be sure to leave a rating. Simply click on the stars in the recipe card above.
Easy pumpkin dessert recipes:
- Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal With Pecans
- The Best Healthy Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Zucchini Muffins
- Maple Pecan Pumpkin Cookies
- Sweet Pumpkin Spice Sauce
- Low Carb, No-Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake