This oatmeal bake features sweet, tangy pineapples covered in an oatmeal batter sweetened with ripe bananas and agave nectar. It's a fun, healthy breakfast the whole family will love. Whip up this tasty, gluten free treat in under an hour. Leftovers make are perfect for snacking or dessert!
*Disclaimer: This article may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
How to make pineapple upside down baked oatmeal - a quick overview:
Keep scrolling for complete recipe and instructions. We’ll start here with a quick rundown!
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mash bananas in a large bowl. Add eggs, cinnamon, vanilla, agave and baking powder. Whisk until well combined.
- Melt butter and allow to cool slightly. Add to the bowl along with milk and whisk again.
- Stir oats and chopped macadamia nuts into batter and set aside.
- Heavily coat an 8x8 glass baking pan with non stick cooking spray. Line with pineapple rings and maraschino cherries.
- Cover fruits with batter and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Use a small, sharp knife to loosen oatmeal bake from sides of pan.
- Flip bake onto a large plate or cutting board.
- Cut into squares and add toasted coconut topping / additional agave if desired.
- If you can't find toasted coconut at the grocery store, you can easily make it yourself! Simply look for raw, shredded coconut in the baking isle. Add flakes to a large, non-stick frying pan and turn heat to low. Stir constantly until all flakes have turned a light brown color, then remove from heat.
Pineapple Baked Oatmeal
- 2 medium bananas *extra ripe is best/sweetest!
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons salted butter *melted and slightly cooled
- 1 & ¾ cups unsweetened almond milk *or milk of choice
- 2 & ¾ cups whole grain rolled oats
- ⅓ cup macadamia nuts *roughly chopped
- 9 small no added sugar canned pineapple rings
- 21 maraschino cherries
- ½ cup unsweetened toasted coconut flakes *optional for topping *see note below
Recipe notes:Unsweetened toasted coconut flakes: If you can't find unsweetened toasted coconut flakes at the grocery store, you can easily make it yourself! Simply look for raw, shredded coconut in the baking isle. Add flakes to a large, non-stick frying pan and turn heat to low. Stir constantly until all flakes have turned a light brown color, then remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mash bananas in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs, cinnamon, vanilla extract, agave nectar and baking powder. Whisk until ingredients are well combined.
- Melt butter in the microwave and allow it to cool slightly. Add to the bowl along with unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice) and whisk again.
- Roughly chop macadamia nuts and stir them into your batter along with whole grain oats. Set aside.
- Generously coat an 8x8 glass baking dish with non stick cooking spray. Line with pineapple rings and maraschino cherries.
- Cover fruits with oatmeal batter and bake for 30-35 minutes (until slightly golden on top and a toothpick comes out clean).
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Use a small, sharp knife or spatula to loosen oatmeal bake from sides of pan.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on top of the baked oatmeal, then place a cutting board on top of the paper. Flip bake over onto the board.
- Cut into squares, add toasted coconut topping and additional agave if desired.
Healthy, family friendly breakfast ideas:
- Healthy Strawberry, Banana & Chocolate Protein Smoothies
- Peanut Butter, Chocolate & Banana Greek Yogurt Breakfast Bowl
- Almond Flour Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins | Gluten Free!
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal
- No Bake Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls
- Ham & Cheese Quiche Cups | Crustless
- Blueberry Banana & Pecan Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Honey Apple Baked Oatmeal
- Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Breakfast Cookies