Pizza night is one of the best things in the world, don't you agree!? Our family loves ordering in on a Friday night, but sometimes we don't feel like spending extra money or want to eat healthier. These small, personal pizzas are a great way to fulfill our cravings. The best part? this easy recipe is customizable: choose your favorite toppings is the name of the game. It's fun to set up a little pizza bar with some different options!
Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe can easily be made gluten free or keto-friendly thanks to all of the tortillas on the market today! I love using the La Banderita Carb Counter brand (with only 4 net carbs per 8" tortilla). You can get them on Amazon, or at your local grocery store.
I also like using low carb tortillas to make these White Chicken Enchiladas!
Why you'll love this recipe:
No dough: you won't have to worry about making pizza dough for this recipe since we're using a tortilla as our base. You can even use a wrap or flatbread if desired, though cook time may need adjustment.
Quick & simple: this recipe is fast and requires only a few basic ingredients! All you have to do is spread sauce, sprinkle with cheese, add toppings and bake for about 10 minutes. It's truly that easy.
Quantity: make as few or as many pizzas as you want! Finished but still hungry? Quickly whip up one or two more to share.
Customizable: keep the whole family happy and let each person create their own pizza! Everyone can choose their own toppings and a tortilla that suits their dietary needs. Perfect for picky eaters!
Lunch: this recipe is also a great lunch option if you're working from home.
Use up leftovers: you know that quarter of an onion and half pepper still sitting in your refrigerator? Cut them up and use as pizza toppings. It always feels good to keep things from going to waste.
Ingredients and substitutions:
You'll only need a few, simple ingredients to make your tortilla pizzas!
- Large flour tortillas (8 inch): or pick whatever type works best for you (whole wheat, gluten free, low carb, etc). You can also use a wrap, pita bread or flat bread base, note that cook time may need adjustment.
- Pizza sauce: I've tried a couple different brands and I love Classico the most! In a pinch, you can also use spaghetti, tomato or marinara sauce. I recommend adding lots of extra seasonings when using a pizza sauce substitute. I typically sprinkle in some Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Part-skim mozzarella cheese: or cheese of choice.
- Toppings: all of your favorites!
How to make tortilla pizzas:
Time needed: 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sauce & Cheese
Spread about 2 tablespoons of pizza sauce on each tortilla and sprinkle with cheese.
Add your favorite toppings.
Sprinkle with a little more cheese and bake for about 10 minutes.
Cut pizza into slices and enjoy!
Expert tips for this recipe
Want a crispier crust? try par-baking tortillas. This simply means to bake them briefly before adding any toppings. When I do this, I set the oven at 350°F and stick them in the oven for 2-3 minutes, then flip and bake 2-3 more.
Alternative cooking methods: tortilla pizzas can also be made in a toaster oven or air fryer! Preheat toaster oven to 350°F and bake for approximately 10 minutes. For the air fryer, set temp to 350°F and cook for 5-7 minutes (an air fryer tends to cook the pizza a little faster, and also results in a little more crisp). *Note: I used my Chefman TurboFry 5qt Air Fryer for testing. An 8 inch tortilla fits nicely in this model! You can also microwave your pizza but it will likely become a little soggy, this is my least favorite method.
There are endless toppings you can add to your mini pizzas! Keep in mind that you are working with a very thin crust pizza, so you won't want to overload them too much.
- Black olives
- Red pepper flakes
- Parmesan cheese
- Hot honey
- Jalapeno slices
- Diced red pepper
- Green peppers
- Red onion
- Fresh basil
- Tomato slices
- Mozzarella pearls
- Browned ground beef / hamburger
- Sausage crumbles
Side dish inspiration
Frequently asked questions
3 simple ingredients! Tortillas, pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese! Add any other toppings your heart desires.
You certainly can! It is totally possible to use a wrap instead of a tortilla. Note: you may need to adjust cook time due to varying thickness.
This depends, of course, on the type of tortilla and toppings you select! I like using a low carb tortilla and veggie toppings to make my pizza healthier. I would say that overall, tortilla pizza is healthier/lower calorie because of the very thin "crust" created by the tortilla.
If you use an 8 inch flour tortilla, two tablespoons of pizza sauce and one half cup of shredded, part-skim mozzarella, one quarter of the pizza will be about 82 calories.
You can use spaghetti sauce, marinara sauce, passata or tomato sauce as a substitute for pizza sauce. My advice: add lots of seasonings to your substitute tomato product. I like adding Italian seasonings, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, etc. In my opinion, adding spices results in a taste very similar to pizza sauce.
If you happen to make more tortilla pizzas than you can eat, cut into slices and store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. For best results, reheat at 350°F in your oven, toaster oven or air fryer (it should only take 5-10 minutes to warm). You can also reheat in the microwave if you're in a big hurry!
Pin it for later!
Simple Tortilla Pizza Recipe
- Large baking sheet
- Pizza Cutter
- 1 large (8") flour tortilla *see note below
- 2 tablespoons pizza sauce *see note below
- ½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella *or cheese of choice
- Pepperoni, black olives, peppers, onion, sausage crumbles, tomato slices, fresh basil
Recipe notes:Tortilla: use a gluten free or low-carb tortilla if desired. Pizza sauce: in a pinch, you can also use spaghetti, tomato or marinara sauce. I recommend adding lots of extra seasonings when using a pizza sauce substitute. I typically sprinkle in some Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Nutrition info/Macros with low carb tortilla: (All values are approximate). Calories: 222, Fat: 13.5g, Protein: 19.5g, Carbs: 20g, Fiber: 12g, Net Carbs: 8g, Sugar: 2g.
- Preheat oven (or toaster oven) to 350°F.
- Spread pizza sauce on tortilla and sprinkle with cheese.
- Add your favorite toppings.
- Sprinkle with a little more cheese (if desired) and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Cut pizza into slices and enjoy!
How to cook your pizza in an air fryer:
- Set temp to 350°F and cook for 5-7 minutes (an air fryer tends to cook the pizza a little faster, and also results in a little more crisp). *Note: I used my Chefman TurboFry 5qt Air Fryer for testing. An 8 inch tortilla fits nicely in this model!
- Cut leftover pizza into slices and store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. For best results, reheat at 350°F in your oven, toaster oven or air fryer (it should only take 5-10 minutes to warm). You can also reheat in the microwave if you're in a big hurry, but the pizza won't be as crispy.
Did you make this recipe?!
Wahoo! Thank you so much for trying it out – would you leave a rating? Simply click on the stars in the recipe card above.