This healthy Greek yogurt chicken salad recipe is made with spices, fresh dill, shredded chicken, celery, grapes, diced apple and walnuts. It's a warm weather favorite and the perfect side dish for your upcoming cookout or barbeque. High-protein, low carb, gluten free goodness. The best part? It's ready in just 20 minutes!
*Disclaimer: This article may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I love how the creamy texture of this dish contrasts with the crunch of crisp celery, tart diced apple and chopped walnuts. It's so refreshing and screams summer time!
Oh and if you need more barbeque side dish inspo, I've got you covered! Try my Greek Yogurt Egg Salad, Ditalini Pasta Salad, Cucumber And Onion Salad, Watermelon Mint Feta Salad or this delicious English Pea Salad. You also can't go wrong with any of the following:
- Burrata Caprese Salad
- Fruit Salad With Whipped Cream
- Asparagus Pasta Salad
- 4 Ingredient Guacamole
- Simple Garden Salad
Why you'll love this easy recipe:
Quick & simple: make it in 20 minutes with 10 simple ingredients!
No mayonnaise: classic chicken salad is typically made with mayo. If you're not a big fan or just want a low calorie option, this is the salad for you!
Healthy: fresh ingredients, high protein, low carb, gluten free! This salad is also very macro friendly.
Leftovers for lunch: this salad is a great way to mix things up at lunch time. Pack leftovers or make this recipe on the weekend, specifically for meal prep. Divide into individual, grab and go containers and there you have it!
Customizable: this flexible recipe can be made in many different ways! Feeling creative? Have some fun and experiment with different fruits, nuts or spices. Sometimes I like to use pine nuts instead of walnuts or substitute blackberries for grapes.
- Regular, unflavored Greek yogurt: I like using nonfat Greek yogurt (Fage brand) but any will do!
- Spices: salt, ground black pepper & garlic powder.
- Dillweed: adds fresh, summery flavor. Not a fan of dill? Chopped fresh parsley is a good substitute.
- Shredded chicken breast: purchase at the store, make your own or shred a rotisserie chicken if preferred.
- Fresh fruit: seedless red grapes and honeycrisp or pink lady apples add a hint of sweetness to this healthy recipe! You can use berries if you want less sugar.
- Celery & walnuts: for a little bit of crunch!
How to make creamy chicken salad:
- Start by measuring your Greek yogurt, spices and chopped fresh dill into a large bowl.
- Whisk ingredients together vigorously, until smooth.
- Stir in shredded chicken, celery, prepared fruits and chopped walnuts.
- Give everything a good stir! Mix until all ingredients are well coated in dressing.
- Chill and serve. You can also enjoy your salad at room temperature but it's really best cold.
I’ve started making shredded chicken in bulk on the weekend and freezing it in 2-3 cup portions to use in weeknight cooking.
Note: If you choose to purchase pre-shredded chicken, you will most likely find it in the frozen food section or the fresh/refrigerated area in the deli. You can also shred a rotisserie chicken or use canned!
There are so many ways to enjoy this chicken salad!
Eat it on toasted slices of bread or use it to make lettuce wraps / sandwiches.
Think of it as a dip and enjoy with pretzels, crackers and sliced veggies (like cucumber, pickles, carrots, zucchini, etc).
And of course this salad is delicious on it's own. It's the perfect dinner or barbeque side and solo leftovers are a great, easy, make ahead lunch option.
Is chicken salad keto?
This chicken salad recipe is definitely keto friendly (low carb), but it's very high in protein and the keto diet focuses on having the majority of your calories comes from healthy fats.
If you're trying to stick really closely to a keto diet I'd suggest using full fat Greek yogurt, a little less shredded chicken, and diced avocado or berries as a substitute for grapes and apples!
Transfer leftover chicken salad to an airtight container and refrigerate for 3-4 days. I don't recommend freezing chicken salad as it can change in texture once thawed.
More shredded chicken recipes you'll love:
- Chicken Tinga Enchiladas
- Keto White Chicken Enchiladas
- Taco Salad Bowls With Shredded Chicken
- Chicken Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Cozy White Chicken Chili
Pin it for later!
Healthy Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
- 1 & ¼ cup Plain Greek yogurt *see note below
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill *chopped *dried will work fine, also.
- 1.5 lbs. shredded chicken *see note below
- ⅔ cup seedless red grapes *halved
- 1 small apple *diced
- 2 large celery stalks *diced
- 2 tablespoons walnuts *chopped
Recipe notes:Plain Greek yogurt: I like to use the Fage 0% fat brand. Any will do! Shredded chicken: For this recipe, you'll want to either buy pre-shredded chicken at the grocery store or make your own. I’ve started making shredded chicken in bulk on the weekend and freezing/refrigerating it in 2 cup portions to use in weekday cooking. (*Note: If you choose to purchase pre-shredded chicken, you will most likely find it in the frozen food section or the fresh/refrigerated area in the deli. You can also use canned chicken)!
- Start by measuring Greek yogurt, salt, ground pepper, garlic powder and chopped fresh dill into a large mixing bowl. Whisk ingredients together until smooth.1 & ¼ cup Plain Greek yogurt, ¾ teaspoon salt, ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- Rinse fresh produce and pat dry. Halve grapes, chop walnuts, dice apple and celery.⅔ cup seedless red grapes, 1 small apple, 2 tablespoons walnuts, 2 large celery stalks
- Add all ingredients to the mixing bowl along with shredded chicken.1.5 lbs. shredded chicken
- Stir ingredients together until they are all well coated with dressing.
- Chill 20-30 minutes, or overnight. Serve and enjoy!
- Transfer leftover chicken salad to an airtight container and refrigerate for 3-4 days. I don't recommend freezing chicken salad as it can change in texture once thawed.
Did you make this recipe?!
Wahoo! Thank you so much for trying it out – would you leave a rating?! Simply click on the stars in the recipe card above.