This recipe for chicken gnocchi soup is packed full of spinach, carrots, chopped onion and celery! Throw in some wild rice, shredded chicken, potato gnocchi and a mixture of savory, fragrant seasonings for a super healthy meal (ready in just 30 minutes).
Don't forget to meal prep delicious lunches by portioning leftovers into food storage containers!
*Disclaimer: This article may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to make chicken gnocchi soup - a quick overview:
Keep scrolling for complete recipe & instructions. We’ll start here with a quick rundown!
- Place a large pot or Dutch oven on the stove top.
- Add about a tablespoon of olive oil and turn heat to medium/low
- While oil heats, dice your veggies and add them to the pot.
- Stir to coat and sauté for 5-10 minutes.
- Add seasonings and stir. Turn heat to high and add broth, heavy cream, wild rice and shredded chicken. Bring to a boil, then lower heat back down.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add gnocchi and spinach. Simmer for 2-3 more minutes.
- Serve immediately!
What side dishes go with soup?
Soup is a great meal in and of itself but I love pairing it with a piece of buttered bread or garlic bread. Looking to cut back on carbs? Try this awesome Autumn Harvest Salad or a Simple Garden Side Salad instead!
What is gnocchi?
Gnocchi are basically tiny potato dumplings. Potatoes are boiled, skin on, peeled and then shredded. Shredded potato is then mixed with egg and flour and kneaded into a dough. It's easy to make your own gnocchi but it's pretty tedious and time consuming. I prefer to purchase it at the grocery store.
Where can I find gnocchi at the grocery store?
Generally you'll find gnocchi with pasta! Check the isle with all of the dried pasta options first. If you don't have any luck there, check the fresh or refrigerated/non-dried pasta section next!
- This recipe allows for lots of creative flexibility, take advantage! If you want soup with higher protein content, add more chicken! Prefer to cut down on carbs? Consider halving gnocchi or rice. Try different veggies or seasonings. Soup always provides a great opportunity to use up what you have in the kitchen.
- Did you know that you can freeze spinach?! Before it wilts, pop it in the freezer. Add to soup, smoothies, omelets, sauces and more.
- Gnocchi and rice are both very absorbent. When you reheat this soup you may want to add a little water and a pinch of salt/pepper as much of the broth will get soaked up. If you like a really thick soup, reheat and enjoy as is.
Healthy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 large carrots, diced
- 6 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasonings
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf *optional
- 8 cups chicken broth *see note below
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 & ½ cups wild rice
- 2 cups shredded chicken *see note below
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 3 cups gnocchi
Recipe notes:Chicken broth: I've started using broth base/bullion in all of my soup recipes (rather than boxed/canned broth). When you use a base or bullion, you can mix it with hot water. This allows your soup to heat faster and saves you time in the kitchen. Find bullion by the canned broth at the store or buy it on Amazon! Shredded chicken: Buy pre-shredded chicken at the grocery store or make your own! I've started making shredded chicken in bulk on the weekend and freezing it in 2 cup portions to use in weeknight cooking. No pre-shredded chicken on hand? Simply simmer 2 large chicken breasts in your broth along with everything else. Once fully cooked, remove from the soup, shred/dice and return to the pot.
- Place a large stock pot or Dutch oven on the stove top and measure 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil into the pot. Place heat on medium/low.
- While oil heats, dice up your onion, carrots and celery. Add them to the pot and stir to coat with oil. Sauté for 5-10 minutes, until onions are becoming translucent. Stir in seasonings.
- Turn heat to high and add chicken broth, heavy cream, bay leaf, wild rice & shredded chicken. Once soup comes to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add spinach and gnocchi and simmer for 2-3 more minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?!
Amazing! Thank you so much for trying it out – would you leave a rating? Simply click on the stars in the recipe card above.
Austin Adams says
A bowl full of goodness!
A great and very fitting nickname. 🙂
Kendra Cordero says
Amazing recipe! I made my gnocchi from scratch because I had potatoes i had to use and this was perfect!
I'm so glad you enjoyed this recipe, Kendra! Very cool that you made your own gnocchi!!