Creamy, homemade tomato soup with basil is so easy to make and it's way more delicious than the stuff from the can!
For this recipe, start by roasting fresh tomatoes and garlic in salt, pepper and olive oil. Transfer to a large pot on the stove top and add broth, red wine, herbs and a splash of heavy cream.
Puree and voila! The tastiest soup ever (it's even gluten free). You can also make this soup vegan by simply leaving out the cream or substituting coconut milk (or your non-dairy milk of choice).
Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Roma tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Vegetable broth
- Red wine
- White wine vinegar
- Bay leaf
- Fresh basil
- Italian seasonings
- Heavy cream *optional
How do you make homemade tomato soup from scratch? - A quick overview:
Keep scrolling for complete recipe and instructions. We’ll start here with a quick rundown!
- Preheat your over to 350°F.
- Rinse, dry and halve tomatoes. Peel garlic.
- Transfer tomatoes and garlic to a large baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt/pepper (be generous)!
- Use your hands or a spoon to stir tomatoes until well coated.
- Roast for 60 minutes.
- Transfer tomatoes and garlic to a large pot on the stove top. Turn heat to medium high.
- Add broth, red wine, white wine vinegar, bay leaf, basil and Italian seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf and puree ingredients together with a splash of heavy cream (if desired).
- Serve and enjoy!
- Special equipment: I highly recommend purchasing an immersion blender if you don't have one already! You can transfer soup to a regular blender for puréeing, but that's such a hassle. I recently bought this immersion blender and it is AMAZING (plus affordable). Once you get your hands on one of these beauties, you won't ever go back to your old ways. It's so worth it to invest in this incredible tool.
- Peel garlic fast: crush a whole head of garlic with your hand. Place all cloves in a jar and screw on the lid. Shake really hard for about 30-60 seconds. This will help loosen peels!
- Don't turn up the temp: avoid the temptation to turn up your oven temp and reduce roasting time as you'll likely burn your garlic cloves. Low and slow is the way to go for this recipe - just think of it as time to get a few things done around the house!
- Tomato skins: your tomato skins should blend up pretty well when you purée your soup. However, if you're finding a lot of skin shreds after blending, you can run your soup through a strainer to remove them.
- White wine vinegar: if you like it tangy add more white wine vinegar!
Homemade Roasted Tomato Soup With Basil
- 4 lbs. Roma tomatoes *about 20 tomatoes
- 1 head garlic *see note below
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup red wine *see note below
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar *see note below
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasonings
- Splash of heavy cream *optional *sub non-dairy milk of choice to make this soup vegan
Recipe notes:Garlic: when roasting garlic and tomatoes, resist the temptation to raise oven temp to reduce bake time. Your garlic will likely burn at a higher temperature. Red wine: I like to use Cabernet Sauvignon, but you can use whatever you've got on hand. Any dryer, red varietal will do! White wine vinegar: if you like your soup extra tangy, add a bit more!
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Rinse, dry and cut tomatoes in half lengthwise. Peel garlic and halve larger cloves.
- Transfer tomatoes / garlic to a large baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Use your hands (or a spoon if preferred) to stir tomatoes and garlic until well coated.
- Place sheet in the oven and roast for 60 minutes.
- Spoon tomatoes and garlic into a large pot on the stove top. Turn heat to medium high.
- Add vegetable broth, red wine, white wine vinegar, bay leaf, fresh basil and Italian seasonings. Bring ingredients to a boil.
- Reduce heat down to low, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf and use an immersion blender to puree soup until smooth! If desired, blend in a splash of heavy cream or your non-dairy milk of choice. (*Tip: you can also transfer soup to a regular blender to puree if you don't have an immersion blender).
- Serve and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?!
Wahoo! Thank you so much for trying it out – please be sure to leave a rating! Simply click on the stars in the recipe card above.
More soup & chili recipes:
- Slow Cooker Potato Soup
- Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- The BEST, Easy Tailgate Crockpot Chili
- Italian Stuffed Pepper Crockpot Soup
- Oven Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Creamy White Chicken Chili